COVID-19: City of Belmont Updates

The Belmont City Manager has proclaimed a Local State of Emergency to protect the public health and safety caused by the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). More information...


Pet License/Vaccination

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Dogs and Cats are required to be licensed in Belmont

Cat dog window license 

Animal Licensing – Protect your pet, yourself, and your community

The best protection for your pets is licensing and rabies vaccine. Licensing your pets is the quickest way to be reunited if they get lost or injured. The County maintains a tracking system of licensed animals in case of a bite or rabies exposure.

Licensing also increases the likelihood of finding an aggressive animal or an animal that has been exposed to rabies, and that helps to reduce the number of people who must receive the post-exposure rabies vaccine after a bite.

Licensing is easy, affordable and the fees also help provide shelter, food, and emergency medical care for lost pets.

Dog & Cat Licensing

Dog licensing is required in all cities, towns, and unincorporated areas of San Mateo County. Although it is recommended that you license your cat, licensing is required in Brisbane, Belmont, Hillsborough, Millbrae, San Mateo, Redwood City, and unincorporated areas of the County. Dogs and cats must be licensed by 4 months of age or within 60 days of acquiring the animal. New residents of the county must license their dog or cat within 60 days.

To apply for a license, you will need a copy of your pet's rabies certificate, copy or proof of your pet's spay/neuter status, and proof of your pet's age. For more information on licensing requirements, please visit: PetData, Inc., or call 1(866) 925-5906 or email

License online:
Apply for a license online and submit copies of your pet's rabies certificate, proof of spay/neuter (if applicable), and age on Pet Data's website at

License by mail:
To apply by mail, download the Animal License Application here.Send your application, copy of rabies certificate, copy of proof of spay/neuter (if applicable), age documentation, and payment to: San Mateo County Animal Licensing c/o PetData, Inc., P.O. Box 141929, Irving, TX 75014-1929.

License in person:
To apply in person, please visit one of the locations below and bring copy of rabies certificate, copy of proof of spay/neuter (if applicable), and age documentation to:

Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA 12 Airport Boulevard
San Mateo, CA 94401
(650) 340-8200


Tom and Annette Lantos Center for Compassion

1450 Rollins Road
Burlingame, CA 94010
(650) 340-8200
San Mateo County Health System

225 37th Avenue, Room 11
San Mateo, CA 94403
(650) 573-3726


Rabies Vaccination Exemption Requests

State and local ordinances require licensing of all dogs (and cats in some cities) as a means of rabies control. In some instances, there may be a medical reason preventing the administration of the rabies vaccine due to the health of the animal.

This annual request must be made by your veterinarian using the Rabies Vaccination Exemption Request Packet.

For timely approval, please ensure the packet is complete with the following:
a) 1-page State of California "Rabies Vaccination Certificate - Exemption from Canine and Feline Rabies Vaccination form
b) 1-page San Mateo County Rabies Vaccination Exemption Supplemental Request form
c) your pet's microchip number
d) medical records relevant to the exemption request (no more than five pages)

Note: Your annual licensing fees are due on the expiration date of the last vaccination your pet received. During the review process of your Rabies Vaccination Exemption Request, you should pay your licensing fee on or prior to its due date to avoid the late penalty.

More information at