When is a building permit required?
Pursuant to the California Building Code, most work requires a building permit. In fact, because it is much easier, the Code lists things that Do Not require a permit, rather than those that do:
- Fences 6 feet tall or shorter; however, our Fence Ordinance governs where tall fences are allowed. Check with the Building Division to discuss location of fencing before you start construction.
- Decks 200 square feet or less, located not more than 30 inches above grade and are not attached to the dwelling.
- Retaining walls 4 feet tall or greater measured from the bottom of the concrete footing or the wood post.
- Painting and wallpapering.
- Freestanding sheds less than 120 square feet, but check with the Planning Division for setbacks to property lines, height, etc.
- In general, any mechanical or structural work (e.g., cabinets, doors, windows, roofs), plumbing work (e.g., sinks, irrigation, water heaters), or electrical work (e.g., appliances, furnaces, garage door openers, pool pumps) require a building permit. If you have any questions about a specific project, call the Belmont Building Division, at (650) 595-7422.
Building permits help ensure that any work done in your home is done safely and correctly. Although safety is our main concern for you and your family, a project built without permits and inspections will often cause problems and delay a sale when it is time for you to sell your home.
Can I reserve a field or court?
Any organized sports activity must contact the Parks and Recreation Department for authorized use. Reservation fees vary by type of field and your intended use. If you are planning a league, tournament, sports camp or clinic, the event must be arranged prior to its occurrence with a Parks & Recreation Department staff member. To reserve a field or court or for more information, contact the Parks & Recreation Department located at 30 Twin Pines Lane, between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM Monday through Friday, or call them at 650-595-7441.
Fields and courts under management by the Belmont Parks and Recreation Department are available for public recreational use as well. The department maintains several soccer, baseball and softball fields, tennis courts, and horseshoe courts. They are available at no cost on a first come, first served basis; when not reserved for scheduled use.
What inspections are required for roofing permits?
Roofing Permits are needed in the City of Belmont for all roofing repairs, replacements, and new roofs. A permit can be pulled by the owner or by the licensed contractor doing the work. Inspections generally fall into 2 categories:
One-Time In-Progress Inspection for residential roofs composed of shingles, shake, composition, or fiberglass, in which, prior to the inspection, 50% of the sheathing (exisitng or new) must be fully exposed and at least 3 courses, but no more than 50% of the new roof must be in place; or
Two Inspections, comprised of a tear-off inspection, and a final inspection when the new roof is fully in place. For shingles, shake, composition, or fiberglass roofs, the plywood must be fully exposed prior to the tear-off inspection. For all other roofs, the surface receiving the final material must be "swept and prepped". All built-up and tar & gravel roofs (residential or commercial) require two inspections. All other roofs can use either category of inspection.
All inspections must be schedued at least 24 hours in advance. Work must be ready for inspection by 9:00 am on the day of the inspection. Please have any manufacturer's installation instructions and a ladder on site.
All licensed contractors in the City of Belmont must have a valid city business license.
Inspections are scheduled using our Automated Inspection Line (650) 637-2914.
Pickup of approved plans are by appointment only.
For scheduling call 650-595-7422.
Viewing Property Files:
- Appointments are required. Call 650-595-7422 or send request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Requests for copies will be provided with a 48 hour turnaround time. Charges for copies will be $0.30 per page.
- Financial transactions must be completed by 4:00 PM.