Stormwater for Construction Sites

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Stormwater Construction Site imaage

Stormwater runoff is the leading contributor of pollutants to San Francisco Bay with construction sites being a significant source of sediments and other pollutants.

As of 2009 the Municipal Regional Permit (MRP) requires that all construction sites comply with Provision C.6 of the MRP at all times of the year. The information discussed here is a basic set of requirements for the typical homeowner, but for sites that are greater then one acre of disturbed earth, other requirements need to be taken into account.

There are six categories of Best Management Practice (BMP's) that are inspected at a construction site and failure to comply can result in a notice of violation. These categories have been summarized as follows:

  • Erosion control -  preventing or controlling wind or water erosion in land development and construction.
  • Run-on/Run-off control - controlling water entering a construction site and water collected on site to an approved storm drain system.
  • Sediment control -  is the practice or use of a device designed to keep eroded soil on a construction site.
  • Active treatment systems - the filtering or chemical treatment of sediment designed to reduce turbidity of the run-off water prior to entering the storm drain system.
  • Good site management - keeping the construction site organized with stockpiles, waste debris, construction material and hazardous materials covered.
  • Non-Stormwater management - includes the maintenance of a concrete washout area and tree protection.

A construction site inspector has the legal authority to inspect sites and require compliance for any failed or missing BMP. The required time frame for fixing or installing a BMP noted by the inspector is within 10 calendar days or before the next rain event. Failure to do so will result in further escalating enforcement which could result in daily fines.

For further information on BMP's, please visit the Environmental Protection Agency