The Conceptual Design recommendation from the Community Advisory Committee was presented to a joint session of the Parks and Recreation and Planning Commissions on Tuesday November 5th and was then approved by City Council on Tuesday November 12th, 2019.
The Barrett Community Center, built in 1949, has served the Belmont Community for 70 years, first as an elementary school, then as a community center. During its tenure as the Barrett Community Center, the site has provided a variety of wellness and enrichment programs for all ages, a home for artists, licensed childcare for preschoolers, after school and summer programs for school-aged children. Outdoor spaces include an athletic field for youth sports, a pilot program for dogs off-leash, and playground and picnic areas.
The community has participated in two rounds of surveys; first about indoor and outdoor spaces and activities to be included and then to provide feedback about preliminary site options for a reimagined community center. This information, as well as site-specific factors such as traffic impact, wind and sunlight patterns, demographic information, and availability of nearby existing or future recreational and community spaces were then integrated into site and program options. These options were presented to the community via a second survey during the summer of 2019. The findings from that outreach has driven the development of a conceptual design and cost model which are being presented to a joint Commission meeting on November 5th and City Council on November 12th.
A Community Advisory Committee, comprised of community leaders, representatives of key user groups, and Belmont resident members-at-large have met regularly to review, challenge, and vet the iterative process that has advanced this project this year.
Got an idea for more outreach?
Want updates emailed to you?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 2/28/2020
November 12: The City Council reviewed and approved the conceptual design plan. The presentation is available here.
November 5: The Parks and Recreation and Planning Commissions jointly reviewed and recommended the conceptual design plan. See November 12 date for latest presentation.
October 24: The Community Advisory Committee reviewed final conceptual design and provided input prior to presentations to Commissions and City Council in nearly November. The presentation is available here.
September 4: Staff presented the project findings to date to the Parks and Recreation Commission. The presentation is available here.
August 27: Group 4 presented its findings to date to City Council. The presentation is available here.
- June 13: Group 4 presented site and program options to Belmont residents who currently live near the Barrett Community Center. The presentation can be viewed here.
- June 5: Group 4 presented site and program options to the Parks & Recreation Commission. The presentation can be viewed here. A link to the video of the presentation is available here.
- June 4: Group 4 presented site and program options to the Planning Commission. A link to the video of the presentation is available here.
- May 29: The Community Advisory Committee reviewed preliminary site and program options. The agenda is available here. Minutes are available here.
- April 30: Over 2000 survey responses were received in Round 1. Thank you all for your input!
- April 8: The Community Advisory Committee held its first meeting 12pm to 2pm at the Barrett Community Center Annex (next to the Multi-Use Room). The agenda for the meeting is available here. The Presentation shown at the meeting is available here. The Minutes of the meeting are available here.
Community Advisory Committee Member Roster
- March 28: The Community Center Open House and Workshop held at Barrett Community Center on Thursday night was well-attended. The presentation given at the workshop can be viewed here. Belmont residents of all ages stopped by the provide input and ask questions.
- March 8: Community Advisory Committee selections will be announced after Commission appointments have been made by Council on March 12.
- March 7: Planning and Public Works staff met with Group 4 to review the project site, currently applicable code requirements, and other planned City projects near Barrett Community Center
- March 6: Group 4 Architects presented the Community Center Design project kickoff at the Parks & Recreation Commission meeting. A video of the presentation is available here (12:05).
- February 27: Parks & Rec staff met with Group 4 at Barrett Community Center to discuss project goals, existing programs, and site challenges and opportunities.
- January 22: Council approved engaging Group 4 Architects for Phase 1: Community Needs Assessment and Conceptual Design for a new Community Center in Belmont.
Find out more about this project at the following meetings:
January 23, 2020: Sterling Downs Neighborhood Association meeting
City staff is also happy to share information about the project at any neighborhood association, club, or other group. If you'd like a presentation made to your organization or at a community event, please email email@example.com.
November 12: 7pm City Council meeting @ City Hall
November 5: 7pm Parks & Recreation and Planning Commission meeting @ City Hall
October 24: 6pm - 8pm Community Advisory Committee meeting @ Barrett Annex
October 12: Belmont Water Dog Run @ Twin Pines Park
October 6: Save the Music @ Twin Pines Park
September 26: 6pm - 8pm Community Advisory Committee Meeting
September 15: Battle of the Badges @ Belmont Sports Complex
August 26: 7:15am-8:30am Carlmont Shopping Center
August 23: Movie Night @ Twin Pines Meadow
- August 20: 10am Belmont Senior Club
- August 18: 9am - 1pm Belmont Farmer's Market
- August 15: 6pm - 8pm Community Advisory Committee Meeting
- August 6: 6pm -8pm National Night Out @ Carlmont Shopping Center
- August 3: 11am-1pm Open House @Barrett Annex
- July 31: 7-8:30pm Workshop @Barrett Annex (same info as Open House)
- July 31: 4-7 pm Open House @ Barrett Annex (drop in at your convenience)
- July 21: Park Booster Summer Concert @ Twin Pines Meadow
- June 23: Park Booster Summer Concert @ Twin Pines Meadow
- June 13: 6pm Presentation to Barrett Community Center Neighbors
- June 5: 7pm Presentation to Parks & Recreation Commission
- June 4: 7pm Presentation to Planning Commission
- May 29: The Community Advisory Committee reviewed the preliminary site and program options. The agenda for the meeting is available here. The presentation given at the meeting is available here.
- May 6: Belmont Redwood Shores Rotary Club Meeting
- April 20: Egg Adventure Hunt @ Twin Pines Park - Pop Up Event
- April 16: Senior Club meeting @ Twin Pines Senior & Community Center
- April 13: 9am to 12pm Earth Day @ Twin Pines Park - Pop Up Event
- April 12: 9:30 -11:30am @ Twin Pines Senior & Community Center Lobby, Senior Care Seminar with Assemblymember Kevin Mullin
- April 11: 7pm Youth Advisory Committee @ Barrett Community Center - meeting with Belmont teens
- April 8: 2:30 - 4pm -Starbucks @ Carlmont Shopping Center
- April 8: 12 - 2pm @ Barrett Community Center Annex – Community Advisory Committee meeting #1
- April 7: 9am - 1pm @ Belmont Farmers' Market
- April 3: 9:30 - 11:30am @ Twin Pines Senior & Community Center lobby
- March 28: 7 - 9pm Community Workshop @ Barrett
- March 28: 4 - 7pm Community Open House @ Barrett
- March 28: 7:30 – 10am Starbucks @ Carlmont Shopping Center
- March 11: 6pm – State of the City event
- March 5: 6pm – Presentation to Barrett Community Learning Center PTO
- March 2: Belmont Little League Opening Day at Belmont Sports Complex – CANCELLED DUE TO RAIN
- March 1: BRSYSA Opening Day at Belmont Sports Complex – Pop Up Event
- Online Survey: ongoing since March 1
- Ipad kiosk survey: available at Belmont Library and City Hall