Please help us imagine a new community center in Belmont!
The Barrett Community Center, built in 1949, has served the Belmont Community for 70 years, first as an elementary school, then as a community center. During its tenure as the Barrett Community Center, the site has provided a variety of wellness and enrichment programs for all ages, a home for artists, licensed childcare for preschoolers, after school and summer programs for school-aged children. Outdoor spaces include an athletic field for youth sports, a pilot program for dogs off-leash, and playground and picnic areas.
Now it’s time to envision what new indoor and outdoor spaces and activities could be included in a reimagined community center. This process relies on your input! Please take a few moments to complete the brief survey.
This survey will remain open until April 30. Then we’ll incorporate all the feedback from the Community to develop 3 design options. We will begin seeking community feedback about these design options in June.
- May 6: Belmont Redwood Shores Rotary Club Meeting
- May 29: 6pm – 8pm Community Advisory Committee Meeting #2 – Room 4 @ Barrett – Preview of Design Options
- June 13: 6pm – 7pm Barrett Community Centre Neighbors Focus Group Meeting Barrett Annex
- April 20: Egg Adventure Hunt @ Twin Pines Park - Pop Up Event
- April 16: Senior Club meeting @ Twin Pines Senior & Community Center
- April 13: 9:00am to 12:00pm Earth Day @ Twin Pines Park - Pop Up Event
- April 12: 9:30am -11:30am @ Twin Pines Senior & Community Center Lobby, Senior Care Seminar with Assemblymember Kevin Mullin
- April 11: 7:00pm Youth Advisory Committee @ Barrett Community Center - meeting with Belmont teens
- April 8: 2:30-4:00pm -Starbucks @ Carlmont Shopping Center
- April 8: 12:00pm - 2:00pm @ Barrett Community Center Annex – Community Advisory Committee meeting #1
- April 7: 9:00am - 1:00pm @ Belmont Farmers' Market
- April 3: 9:30am -11:30am @ Twin Pines Senior & Community Center lobby
- March 28: 7:30am – 10:00am Starbucks @ Carlmont Shopping Center
- March 11: 6:00pm – State of the City event
- March 5: 6:00pm – Presentation to Barrett Community Learning Center PTO
- March 2: Belmont Little League Opening Day at Belmont Sports Complex – CANCELLED DUE TO RAIN
- March 1: BRSYSA Opening Day at Belmont Sports Complex – Pop Up Event
- Online Survey: ongoing since March 1
- Ipad kiosk survey: available at Belmont Library and City Hall
Here’s the latest project timeline.
Over 1500 survey responses have been received. Thank you!
- April 8: The Community Advisory Committee held its first meeting 12pm to 2pm at the Barrett Community Center Annex (next to the Multi-Use Room). The agenda for the meeting are available here. The Presentation shown at the meeting is available here. The Minutes of the meeting are available here.
Community Advisory Committee Member Roster
- March 28: The Community Center Open House and Workshop held at Barrett Community Center on Thursday night was well-attended. The presentation given at the workshop can be viewed here. Belmont residents of all ages stopped by the provide input and ask questions.
- March 8: Community Advisory Committee selections will be announced after Commission appointments have been made by Council on March 12.
- March 7: Planning and Public Works staff met with Group 4 to review the project site, currently applicable code requirements, and other planned City projects near Barrett Community Center
- March 6: Group 4 Architects presented the Community Center Design project kickoff at the Parks & Recreation Commission meeting. A video of the presentation is available here (12:05).
- February 27: Parks & Rec staff met with Group 4 at Barrett Community Center to discuss project goals, existing programs, and site challenges and opportunities.
- January 22: Council approved engaging Group 4 Architects for Phase 1: Community Needs Assessment and Conceptual Design for a new Community Center in Belmont.