Planning FAQ's

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • Can the City recommend a good architect for my project?

  • How can I obtain the development criteria for my property

  • How do I determine the slope on my lot?

  • How do I find out what size my lot is?

  • How high of a fence or retaining wall can I have?

  • How is building height measured?

  • I have trees on my property that I would like to cut down. Do I need some type of permit? Under what circumstance may I remove trees? What if I need to cut them down to add on to my home?

  • I live in a Planned Development (PD) District. What does this mean? What do I need to do to construct an addition on my home within this district?

  • I live on a corner lot. How do I know which is my front lot line and which is my side lot line?

  • I would like to build an addition on my home. Do I need to upgrade my parking to current standards?

  • I'm doing an addition on my house, and there is currently no sidewalk along the roadway frontage of my property. Will I be required to construct a sidewalk?

  • In order to comply with building setbacks, how do I determine where my property lines are?

  • Tell me about accessory structures in Belmont.

  • Tell me about Conditional Use Permit.

  • Tell me about the Belmont Planning Commission.

  • Tell me about the Historical Properties in Belmont.

  • What are the Hillside Residential and Open Space Zoning Districts (HRO-1 and HRO-2)?

  • What are the parking standards in a single family residential area? How many spaces do I need to provide? Do they need to be a certain size or in a certain location?

  • What are the standards for an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)?

  • What determines how large my house can be and what it can look like? What is Single Family Design Review?

  • What does “gross” floor area include?

  • What happens after the Planning Commission approves my project?

  • What is a building setback?

  • What is a Floor Area Exception?

  • What is a floor area ratio?

  • What is a Variance? Can I apply for one?

  • What is considered a detached accessory building? Can I build a detached accessory building on my property? Where can it be located? How large can it be? How tall can it be?

For more FAQ's about the Permit Center, click here.