The Radcliff School
In 1895, Mrs. Alpheus Bull, a widow from San Francisco, became the third owner of "Belmont." Mrs. Bull opened a girls' seminary in that same year. She intended to make Ralston Hall one of the educational centers in California. Its faculty consisted only of women, having been modeled after eastern preparatory schools. Its tuition was $250 per year with room and board costing an additional $350. The curriculum focused on English, History, and Bible studies. Located in a place like "Belmont" meant that its students would be exposed to a broader culture. By 1898, at the time of Bull's death, the site was no longer used as a school.
Print this page