Belmont cleans the streets twice a month to remove harmful pollutants, clean debris from the gutters, and to protect San Francisco Bay. Moving your car off the street the night before your scheduled sweeping day is the most important thing you can do to ensure clean streets for Belmont. This allows the street sweeper to clean the gutter, where most pollutants and debris settle.
The State recently put into place the NPDES (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination) program that is implemented by the City. This important environmental law requires cities to control urban runoff and maintain clean waterways.
Ways you can help~
- Move your vehicle from the street the night before scheduled sweeping days.
- Do not blow yard debris into the gutter or roadway.
- Do not sweep leaves into piles taller than one foot. The street sweeper cannot pick up large piles.
- Place branches into the compost bin.
- Trim trees and vegetation back behind the curb and remember the sweeper needs 14 feet of vertical clearance from the roadway to reach the curb.
Bi-Weekly street sweeping occurs between the hours of 5:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Monday – Friday) on specified residential roadways. A map is enclosed with neighborhoods and scheduled dates.
The Department will also be conducting enhanced sweeping in the retail/commercial/industrial areas 3 times per week prior to sweeping of residential areas (Enhanced schedule below). This enhanced sweeping is part of the Municipal Regional Report (MRP) to help reduce litter and pollutants from entering our waterways.
For more information, you may contact the Public Works Department at 650-595-7425.
2017 Street Sweeping Map