Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option



Grading Permit Application

Three (3) copies of an application for a grading permit and required fees shall be submitted by the property owner or authorized agent of the property owner to the Department of Public Works. If the Director of Public Works determines that a planning commission review will be required, the application will be transmitted to the Director of Planning and Community Development, who will coordinate review of the application. 

When is a Grading permit required?
A grading permit shall be required in the following cases:

  • The combined volume of material excavated and filled will exceed fifty (50) cubic yards.
  • The depth of any cut or fill will exceed two (2) feet at its deepest point measured from the natural ground.
  • Grading and/or vegetation removal will disturb an area of more than two thousand (2,000) square feet.
  • Trenching, boring or other excavation as part of a geologic or geotechnical investigation required by the city.

When is a Grading permit not required?
Regardless of the limits established in section 9-22, a grading permit shall not be required for the following:

  • Grading to avert risk to life or property when the director of public services has found an emergency to exist.
  • Trenching undertaken by the city, county or other government agency or public utility for installation, maintenance or repair of utility lines.
  • Grading pursuant to a road improvement plan adopted by the city council pursuant to section 7-13(e)(11).
  • Grading undertaken by the city or its authorized representative in the right-of-way.
  • Removal and backfill of in-ground fuel storage tanks when done in accord with fire code requirements with the condition that backfill is done according to standards established by the department of public services (see section article IV).
  • Tilling of soil for fire protection as authorized by the fire chief.