This website will provide you with information about the Single Family Home & Tree Regulation Update. Up-to-date information will be posted on this website, including draft ordinances, project summaries, schedule, reports, presentations, ways to participate, and contact information. Please tell us what you think.
We welcome your comments and invite you to participate in the update process. We will update the website frequently, and encourage you to review the draft documents in the library.
The City has been working on a more streamlined, affordable and predictable approval process for homeowners who would like to improve their single family homes. This effort was initiated in March 2014, and after more than a year of concentrated evaluation, significant public input, and numerous public meetings, modifications have been identified in the following general categories:
➤Single Family Design Review Standards, General Regulations and Definitions
➤Tree Protection Updates
➤Secondary Dwelling Unit Requirements
➤Maximum Building Floor Area
The City’s goals are to:
➤ Establish a fair, objective, and predictable process
➤ Expand oversight of projects and ensure adequate design and technical review
➤ Facilitate improvements to aging housing stock to meet the needs of growing families
➤ Ensure residential projects provide sufficient parking
➤ Comply with mandatory State requirements for secondary dwelling units
➤ Establish standards for review of tree permits and provide greater protection for healthy, native trees
Project Actions/Tentative Schedule
In February 2016, the City adopted the first set of amendments for the Single-Family Home & Tree Regulation Updates project. These amendments focused on the Single Family Design Review Process (i.e. the tiered system of review), Residential Design Guidelines/Criteria, General Regulations, and Definitions. The new Single Family Design Review process (Tiered Review System) became effective on April 26, 2016.
In June 2016, the City adopted the second set of amendments focusing on Parking Regulations; these regulations became effective on July 28, 2016.
In September 2016, the City adopted the third set of amendments focusing on Secondary Unit Regulations; these regulations become effective on October 27, 2016. In late September 2016, the State of California adopted State and Assembly bills (SB1069, AB2299, AB2406), which significantly reorganized and modified standards provided in Section 65852.2 of the Government Code (second unit law). These bills became effective on January 1, 2017, making the City’s adopted second unit ordinance null and void. Please click here for more information on Accessory dwelling units (ADUs). On February 28, 2017, the City Council will hear a report on these State regulations and discuss next steps regarding accessory dwelling units for Belmont.
In November/December 2016, the City adopted the fourth set of amendments focusing on Allowable Home Size Regulations; these regulations became effective on January 12, 2017.
Outlined below is a summary of past actions for the project. Subsequent review of Tree Regulations and Accessory Dwelling Units is anticipated to occur over the next two to three months.
Single Family Design Review Process, General Regulations, Residential, & Definitions
January 19, 2016 – Recommended approval.
February 9, 2016 –
February 23, 2016 – Second Reading of Ordinance was adopted.
May 17, 2016 –
June 14, 2016 –
June 28, 2016 – Second Reading of Ordinance was adopted.
Secondary Dwelling Units
July 7, 2016 – Reviewed and continued.
August 16, 2016 – Recommended approval.
September 13, 2016 –
September 27, 2016 – Second Reading of Ordinance was adopted.
Ordinance is now null and void based on State regulations effective on January 1, 2017
City Council will review new State Accessory Dwelling Unit regulations on February 28, 2017; subsequent review is to be determined.
Allowable House Size
October 18, 2016 – reviewed and continued.
October 24, 2016 – Recommended approval
November 9, 2016 –
November 22, 2016 – First Reading of Ordinance was adopted.
December 13, 2016 – Second Reading of Ordinance was adopted.
To be determined
April – May 2017
Current Amended Belmont Zoning and Tree Ordinances under consideration:
- Residential Development: Proposed Amendments | Design Review Process Update Summary
- Trees: Proposed Amendments | Tree Regulations Update Summary
- Other Supporting Documents:
- Initial Study and Negative Declaration
- Residential Design Criteria - 2015 Draft
- Residential Design Guidelines - 2015 Draft
- Comparison Tables: Overview | Detailed
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- June 14, 2016 - City Council Meeting Agenda | Staff Report | Draft Ordinance | Resolution | Negative Declaration and Addendum | Back-up Documents
- May 17, 2016 Planning Commission Agenda | Public Hearing Flyer
- May 3, 2016 - Planning Commission Agenda
- February 23, 2016 - City Council Meeting Agenda
- February 9, 2016 - City Council Meeting Agenda
- January 19, 2016 - Planning Commission Meeting Agenda
- November 18, 2015 - Community Outreach Meeting
- August 25, 2015 - City Council Meeting Agenda
- July 14, 2015 - City Council Meeting Agenda
- June 23, 2015 - City Council Meeting Agenda
- June 2, 2015 - Planning Commission Meeting Agenda
- May 26, 2015 - City Council Meeting Agenda (Ordinances Adopted)
- May 12, 2015 - City Council Meeting Agenda
- April 28, 2015 - City Council Meeting Agenda
- April 7, 2015 - Planning Commission Meeting Agenda (Item continued to next meeting.)
- April 1, 2015 - Parks and Recreation Meeting Agenda
- March 31, 2015 - Planning Commission Meeting Agenda (Item continued to next meeting.)
- March 17, 2015 - Planning Commission Meeting Agenda (Item continued to next meeting.)
- February 4, 2015 - Parks and Recreation Meeting Agenda
- January 6, 2015 - Planning Commission Meeting Agenda (Item continued to next meeting.)
- December 9, 2014 - City Council Meeting Agenda (Item continued to next meeting.)
- October 28, 2014 - City Council Meeting Agenda (Item continued to next meeting.)
- Lots of input on Belmont zoning rules: Public forum draws many people, and many perspectives (November 24, 2015 By Samantha Weigel, Daily Journal)
- City Repeals remodel rules: Heated meeting, citizens referendum prompts Belmont officials to pull zoning amendments (July 16, 2015 By Samantha Weigel, Daily Journal)
- City moves to ease home remodels: Belmont council approves controversial zoning, tree ordinances (May 14, 2015, By Samantha Weigel, Daily Journal)
- Home remodel rules proceed in Belmont: City Council supports zoning changes (April 30, 2015, Samantha Weigel, Daily Journal)
- Planners finalize ideas on home remodel rules: Amendments to Belmont zoning and tree ordinances head to City Council (April 10, 2015, By Samantha Weigel, Daily Journal)
- Belmont proceeding with updates to remodel rules: Planning Commission offers input on cap size, parking requirements, second units (April 02, 2015, By Samantha Weigel, Daily Journal)
- Belmont planners give nod to tiered review: Possible changes to home remodel laws prove controversial, council must make final approval (March 19, 2015, By Samantha Weigel, Daily Journal)
- City may revise remodel rules: Single-family home rules called onerous, Belmont City Council considers zoning changes (November 03, 2014, By Samantha Weigel, Daily Journal)
Community Outreach Meetings: