City of Belmont
RECREATION AND PARKS COMMISSION
REGULAR MEETING DECEMBER 1, 1999
The regular meeting of the Belmont Recreation and Parks Commission was called to order at 7:31 p.m.
I. ROLL CALL
COMMISSIONERS PRESENT: Metropulos, Cheechov, King, Gay, Davis, Dentler & Bortoli
COMMISSIONERS ABSENT: None.
STAFF PRESENT: Director of Parks & Recreation (DPR) Mittelstadt, Recreation Superintendent (RST) Holte and Secretary Saggau
The minutes of the November 3, 1999 Park & Recreation Commission meeting were reviewed and approved. Commissioner (C) Bortoli abstained.
III. COMMUNITY FORUM
IV. ORGANIZATIONAL REPORTS
A. (C) Gay reported on the Senior Advisory Board meeting of November 18, 1999. City and South County Fire employees helped serve the Seniors their Thanksgiving Luncheon on November 18. They will also be having holiday parties on December 10, 16 & 23. Councilmember Rianda and Public Works Director John Curtis have been working on providing handicapped parking with temporary signs to be used during senior functions. The Advisory Committee also discussed replacing the benches in front of the Center. Recreation Coordinator Vreman is working on providing an update on the Senior Workplan.
V. AGENDA AMENDMENTS
VI. STAFF REPORTS
A. Presentation by Belmont Community Players
1. The following members of the Belmont Community Players (BCP) were present: President Marie Cushin, Rosie Doane, Laura Benier, Kathy Leger & Denee Reiser
2. BCP President Cushin reviewed the activities of the Belmont Community Players and the donations they have made for improvements to the Barrett Community Center. She noted the BCP would like to continue to use the Barrett Community Center in the future.
3. BCP President Cushin stated the BCP would like to increase the communication with the City and invite the City Council and Commission to their performance. DPR Mittelstadt said he would put the BCP on the Council agenda.
4. DPR Mittelstadt noted there has been some discussion on future plans for the Barrett Community Center and he would recommend holding off on doing any major improvements at this time.
5. C Gay requested the BCP give an annual progress report to the Commission.
6. BCP President Cushin distributed flyers on their upcoming production.
B. Commission Appointments for Fox Park Design Process
1. Commissioners Bortoli, Dentler and Gay were appointed to work on the Committee for the Fox Park Design.
2. DPR Mittelstadt stated tentative meeting dates are January 12 & 26 and February 9.
C. Park Benches for Twin Pines Park
1. DPR Mittelstadt reported the Senior Advisory Committee has requested that the Commission approve replacing the two flat benches in front of the Senior & Community Center. New benches would have armrests and would be more comfortable. Staff is recommending approval and that Art & Wine funds be used.
2. C Dentler moved that the Park & Recreation Commission approve spending $1,700 of Art & Wine Festival funds to replace the benches. (S) Bortoli. Vote 7-0 in favor.
A. City Council Updates
1. DPR Mittelstadt reported the City Council will reject the bid for Phase I of the Alexander Park project because the low bidder’s subcontractor is not certified for the tennis court application. He noted that it is possible that RDA funds will be available so that both Phase I and Phase II of this project could be funded and completed at the same time.
2. DPR Mittelstadt stated at the December 14 Council meeting there will be a recommendation for a budget augmentation to complete the improvements to Cipriani playground. The plan was presented to the Cipriani PTA and principal.
B. Park Improvement Update
C. Recreation Division Update
1. RST Holte reported the Holiday Craft Faire has an excellent turnout.
C Dentler reported the Farmer’s Market went well. They received a lot of surveys showing support for the Farmer’s Market.
2. RST Holte stated the Breakfast with Santa on December 11th is sold out.
D. Status of Issues
1. Other City Facilities Tour – pending.
2. View Ordinance – Council to review early next year.
3. C King requested the Lodge Design meeting be included in Status of Issues.
VIII. COMMISSION/STAFF COMMENTS
A. DPR Mittelstadt noted the Commission was given a memo on the revisions to the Landscape Plan for the Grade Separation Project.
B. DPR Mittelstadt stated although there was a request to change the Art & Wine Festival Sub-Committee meeting to December 15th, the original meeting date of December 8th may stay in place. He will keep the Committee members informed.
C. DPR Mittelstadt reported the Bikeway Committee met on November 23 and recommended the City apply for a grant for TDA funds to build the bridge over Highway 101.
D. C King asked if Kollage is now a private organization. DPR Mittelstadt explained yes, they are now an independent non-profit organization. At this time, they will stay at the Nesbit school site.
E. C Gay requested the Commission put Killer Bees on the agenda for discussion. He would like to have the city departments work on educating the public and setting up an action plan.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:33 p.m.
Grace Saggau, Secretary
December 1, 1999
Print this page